Metis H3 high-speed pyrometers measure temperatures many times faster than standard devices and thus open up special applications such as:
- Create detailed temperature profiles of rapidly passing parts.
- Recording and control of process temperatures in near real-time at laser applications such as e.g. hardening, welding, cladding, additive manufacturing or laser beam welding.
- Aufzeichnen und Regeln von Prozesstemperaturen nahezu in Echtzeit bei Laserapplikationen wie z.B. Härten, Schweißen, Auftragsschweißen, additiver Fertigung oder Laser-Durchstrahlschweißen.
High-speed pyrometers are available in 2 measuring methods:
1-color pyrometers with an exposure time of <20 μs for more than 50,000 measurements / s (50 kHz measuring frequency) are mainly used for measurements and laser power control in plastic welding.
2-color pyrometers with an exposure time of <40 μs for more than 25,000 measurements / s (25 kHz measuring frequency) are mainly used for measurements and laser power control in hardening and steel cladding.
|Spectral range||Channel 1: 1.65–1.8 μm /|
Channel 2: 1.45–1.65 μm
*) Channel 1: 1.64 μm /
Channel 2: 1.4 μm
|Response time / exposure time||< 80 µs / < 40 µs|
|Smallest spot size||0.8 mm|
|Datasheet (pdf)||Manual (Downloadbereich)|
- Extremely compact devices for temperature measurement and simultaneous PID control.
- Analog and digital inputs and outputs for direct manipulated variable output, external device control as well as switching signals on temperature events.
- SensorTools software for easy setup of the parameters as well as for measurement recording and visual presentation.
- Built-in recalibration function for easy on-site temperature calibration.
- Completely self-sufficient operation via control commands from existing systems.
- Easy integration with laser systems (in laser processing optics) or in existing system concepts.
Typical Application Examples
The temperature-controlled additive manufacturing produces a uniform material coating even at directional changes.
The constant laser power causes uneven material coating, especially at directional changes.
Temperature control provides excellent results in additive manufacturing.
The constant power output of the laser causes an uneven temperature.
Laser hardening (video)
Temperature-controlled laser hardening produces perfect hardening results by suitable temperature control. Also with paused laser, different speeds or scale.
After removal of the oxide layer, no melting can be seen.
Temperature-controlled laser hardening allows consistent results without burn-off, even with different surface conditions such as threaded holes with thin or sharp edges.
Measuring Methods / Pyrometer Coupling
The pyrometer can be mounted next to the processing laser mounted aligned to the heated measuring point or coupled into the laser head. The measurement is then always at the same location where the laser is positioned.
Coupled systems offer the advantages:
- Closed system without lens contamination.
- On-Axis-couplings are also possible in laser heads with mirror and rotary scanners.
- Measurement of complex workpiece geometries.
Our pdf brochure “Highspeed Pyrometers for Laser Power Control” provides an overview of the system, devices and possibilities.
We recommend a personal pre-advice consultation before you decide to use a device.